CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, June 20, 2008

Book Report 2

Colleen Hughes
Elika’s Humanities Class

Book Report: How To Expand Love, His Holinesss The Dalai Lama
I’ve read the book How To Expand Love by the Dalai Lama about widening the circle of relationships. It teaches that you have to think about people around you differently and with kindness. Instead of thinking about things they say to you think of it in context of moods, such as when they say you look nice, they are in a good mood. It teaches how to deal with enemies, how to deal with coworkers, or peers, relationships, family, and friends. It teaches you how to learn from tragedy, How to detach from being clingy or attached to material things and people, How to let go and let things slide of your back, tolerance, enlightenment and human rights as well as meditation. It was all fascinating, and I still re read it to make sure that these life lessons are engrained in my daily life and actions. I’ve been going through a lot of stress lately and this made me see from different view points. It brought me down to earth and made me relize that I could think about other things rather than suffer as I have been. Such quotes as these, get me through “Like salt water, pleasurable things increase attachment no matter how many times they are used The altruistic practice by viewing them as like a summer rainbow, appearing to be beautiful but, untrue. Thereby avoiding lust and attachment.” –Bodhissativa Tokmay Sangpo
Or “Demonstrate warm feelings for all, if you want a friend, demonstrate warmth and compassion.” And “Help anyone if you notice they are in their time of need.”
I really enjoyed this book as it’s helped me through troublesome times.

0 comments: