CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, June 20, 2008

Book Report 1

Colleen Hughes
Elika’s Humanities Class
Book Report: Guidebook For Marines Eighteenth Revised Edition
I read a book called Guidebook for Marines. A friend of mine who is a Marine gave it to me and I learned a lot from it. The reason I originally picked it up was because I intended on joining the military. Through this book, I learned the intended excercises such as how to do a proper crunch at a 90% angle or an exercise called a dirty dog. It teaches you about all the clothing and equipment that Marines have to wear. How to properly clean equipment as well as displaying it, and different types of weapons as well as how to position them and how to properly shoot them. It also teaches you basic CPR training, amongst how to treat a snakebite, how to handle minor wounds, someone who is unconscious, how to transport a victim without a stretcher. Of course presumably this would be in combat and even though I am a woman, this is still important stuff to know even if I don’t end up going into combat. Amongst other first aid measures and instructions, I learned how to treat electrical shock, burns, jaw wounds, how to dress a wound and how to control bleeding as well as shock control by making a tourniquet. Amongst so many other useful things in life. Overall, I benefited by reading this book because not only have I learned alot in CPR, and how Marines operate in daily life, but, I set aside a misnomer in my mind that Marines don’t know much except for hand to hand combat or how to shoot guns. Fully assembling and unassembling a rifle is hard work, carrying a Marine pack is a lot of work and has a lot of complicated compartments, the impression of freshly pressed clothes isn’t just there, its precise dedication to creases and detail, you can’t operate weapons in all climates, shooting is not easy, there are many types of guns and many ways to shoot them, Marines fit and lean bodies are not just from running they put a lot of time and effort into the way they work. Finally, Marines are not just made, they put a lot of effort and dedication that goes along with being one and this book really helped educate me on proper responsibility. I gained a lot from this book.

0 comments: