CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Book Report For MOnday, April 21st

The book I read was called

I Never Called It Rape: The Ms. Report on Recognizing, Fighting, and Surviving Date and Acquaintance Rape by Robin Warshaw

IN addition to my Non Profit Organization I wanted to find out actual statistics and find out why and what to do to help others who had this happen to them. This book was very informative because it gave statistics such as that most men believed that women were leading them on when, in fact, aLL of the women disagreed. Now while this book was written in 1994, so these are pretty old, I just gave or take the percentages. What amazes me was that I read something on the internet recently that stated that in 2006 - the present was that it says that Rape is going DOWN. as in, few to none have been reported. So they claimed that the situations were getting better, that crime was going down. I strongly disagree, I think that date/aquantance rape is ever more prevalent then it was in the 90's or beyond. Because as each year begins more and more methods for date rape are available like more drugs and clever methods. I think that the realty of the 21st century is that fewer and fewer women and girls are reporting their rapes, but that doesn't mean that they didn't happen. I think that they are afraid of reporting it because they don't want to relive it, and they don't want to be in front of a court. Its difficult, and that is why I wanted to get more information on sexual assault, aquantance and date rape. I am going to read more books in the future in regards to this especially since we are working on non profit organizations and myne is Teen Sexual Assault and Rape Peer Help. Overall, I found it very informative. The next book I am going to read is The Truth About Rape (Paperback)by Teresa M. Lauer .

-Colleen

0 comments: